The Stash Builder Box Block of the Month for May is Butterfly Parade. This block would be so fun for a springtime quilt with bright colors or florals! It’s a simple block that is great for beginners, but still looks stunning!
The completed block is 9” square to fit with the rest of your SBB blocks, and all seam allowances are ¼”.
Fabric A: Cut 4- 3 ½” squares, Cut 3- 4 ¼” squares
Fabric B: Cut 2- 4 ¼” squares
Fabric C: Cut 1- 4 ¼” square
1) Cut all of the 4 ¼” squares in quarters on the diagonal. Note: You will have 2 Fabric A triangles and 2 Fabric C triangles left over; set these aside.
2) With right sides together, sew all of the Fabric B triangles to Fabric A triangles according to the photo below. Do the same with 2 of the Fabric C triangles.
3) Open the units and press to the dark side.
4) Arrange the triangle units in pairs and sew according to the photo below.
5) Press the seam open. Trim to 3 ½” square.
6) Lay out the rows according to the photo below. Stitch the units into rows.
7) Press the seams on the top and bottom rows out. Press the seams on the middle row to the inside.
8) Sew the rows together.
9) Do a final press and trim to 9” square.
Don’t forget to show off your block on social media using #BOTMSBB! Happy sewing!