The Stash Builder Box Block of the Month for February is Bright Hopes. If you have never sewn a partial block seam before, this is a great block to start with to learn the technique. The construction of this block is fairly simple as long as you sew the pieces together in the right order.
This finished block will be 9” square so that you can use it with your other #BOTMSBB blocks.
All seam allowances are ¼”.
Fabric A: Cut 1-3 ½” square
Fabric B: Cut 2-6 ½” x 3 ½” rectangles
Fabric C: Cut 2-6 ½” x 3 ½” rectangles
1. Lay out the pieces according to the photo below. You will sew each of the B and C pieces to the Fabric A square in the center. Start with the Fabric B rectangle on top and work clockwise.
2. Find the middle of one side of the Fabric A square (measure in 1 ¾”) and make a small mark.
3. Place the square on top of the first Fabric B rectangle, as seen in the photo below.
4. Start on the outside edge of the square and sew up to the mark you made before.
5. Now you will start sewing on the other rectangles using full seams. Attach them according to the layout in Step 1.
6. After the second rectangle is sewn on, press the seam toward the new rectangle.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for the remaining rectangles. Now you will just have the partial seam left to attach.
8. Start where you left off with the first partial seam and sew to the edge, completing the seam.
9. Do a final press and trim to 9” square.
You’ve now completed the Bright Hopes block. Don’t forget to post photos of your completed block and use #BOTMSBB!