The Stash Builder Box Block of the Month for September is the Sawtooth Star. This is a classic block that would be great for a Christmas quilt if you are getting a jump on holiday projects, but it also looks good in a quilt for any time of the year!
Fabric A: Cut 1- 5” square
Fabric A: Cut 1- 5 ¾” square
Fabric B: Cut 4- 2 ¾” squares
Fabric B: Cut 4- 3 ⅛” squares
All seam allowances are ¼”. The block will be 9” square to match the other Stash Builder Box Blocks of the Month.
1. Cut the Fabric A 5 ¾” square in quarters on the diagonals. Cut the Fabric B squares in half on the diagonal.
2. With right sides together, sew the Fabric B triangles to the short sides of the Fabric A triangles according to the photo below. Repeat with the remaining triangles to form 4 flying geese units.
3. Open and press to the dark side.
4. Trim off the tails.
5. Attach one 2 ¾” Fabric A square to each side of two of the flying geese units according to the photo below.
6. Open the units and press to the inside.
7. Stitch the remaining flying geese units to the 5” Fabric A square according to the photo below.
8. Open and press to the outside.
9. Sew the rows together.
11. Do a final press and trim to 9” square.
Don’t forget to show off your blocks on social media using #BOTMSBB!