This month’s Stash Builder Box Block of the Month is the Churn Dash. It is a simple block that can be made up quickly by taking a shortcut of sewing together two long strips and then cutting them into smaller units. If you want to practice fussy cutting, the center square would be the perfect spot for it!
Fabric A: Cut 1- 3 ½” square
Fabric B: Cut 2- 3 ⅞” squares, Cut 1- 2”x15” rectangle
Fabric C: Cut 2- 3 ⅞” squares, Cut 1- 2”x15” rectangle
All seams are ¼”.
1. Draw a line corner to corner on a Fabric B square.
2. Place one Fabric B square on top of one fabric C square, right sides together.
3. Sew a seam ¼” inch from the center line on both sides.
4. Cut down the center line.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 for the other Fabric B and Fabric C squares.
6. You will now have 4 half square triangle units. Open them and press to the dark side.
7. Trim to 3 ½” square.
8. Place the Fabric B rectangle on top of the Fabric C rectangle, right sides together. Sew along one of the long sides.
9. Cut the strips into 4 sections that are each 3 ½” long.
10. Open the units and press to the dark side.
11. Lay out the block according to the photo below and stitch each row.
12. Press the seams on the top and bottom rows to the inside. Press the seams in the middle row to the outside.
13. Sew the rows together.
14. Press and trim to 9” square.
Now you can add your block to your other Stash Builder Box Blocks of the Month. Don’t forget to post photos of your creation using #BOTMSBB!