This month’s BOTM is the Birds in the Air block. Elements of this block mimic the flying geese block, and the two blocks would look great together in a quilt.
All seam allowances are ¼” and the finished block size will be 9” to match your other Stash Builder Box blocks.
Fabric A: Cut 1- 9 ⅞” square, Cut 1-5 ⅜” square
Fabric B: Cut 2- 5 ⅜” squares
Note: You will have one Fabric B triangle, one large Fabric A triangle, and one small Fabric A triangle left over after assembly.
1) Cut each square in half diagonally.
2) With right sides together, sew one small Fabric A triangle and one Fabric B triangle together along the long edge. It should be a half square triangle unit when finished.
3) Press to the dark side and trim.
4) Lay out your pieces according to the photo below and attach the Fabric B triangles to the HST unit.
Note: There will be some overhang when you attach the black triangles. Don’t worry-you didn’t do anything wrong!
5) Press and trim for a clean edge.
6) With right sides together, attach the unit to the large Fabric A triangle.
7) Do a final press and trim to 9” square.
You have now completed the Birds in the Air block. Be sure to show off your block on social media. We want to see your hard work, so tag Stash Builder Box and use #BOTMSBB.